[BusyBox] hard vs soft links

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Sat Jul 10 22:36:21 UTC 2004

Hello list,

some time ago that I used busybox I recall that soft links were being
created for every command. Why are they preferred against hard links?
Wouldn't it be good if there was a configuration option to create hard
instead of soft links?

In particular I remember that to install busybox in a floppy with some
other stuff I had to format it with more inodes than usually. If hard
links were used many inodes were saved. Moreover I think that it takes
time for the OS to dereference a soft link, but a hard link basically
*is* the file, so that no dereferencing is needed. Having said that, I
haven't benchmarked anything so this may not be the case.

Please ignore me if this matter is solved in the latest version, but I
haven't used busybox for a while. I just wait for 1 to resume...

Thanks,
Dimitris