[BusyBox] Is there an "init" standard?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jul 6 04:21:09 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 21:25, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Rob Landley wrote:
> > For example, all that guessing "where is our console" just went away in
> > favor of A) checking the environment variables "console" and "CONSOLE" to
> > see if the kernel command line said where it is, B) falling back to the
> > default value "/dev/console" if neither of those is specified (which can
> > be a symlink for all I care), C) using "/dev/null" if we can't open the
> > console from A/B.
>
> Since the kernel has already opened file descripters to /dev/console, that
> all just sounds like bloat to me. busybox should be small, shouldn't it?
> Why not delete all that code?

1) I deleted about 80% of it, that's what was left.

2) I'll see about that sort of thing when I actually get to test it.  Right
now I'm trying to understand what the heck stealing back the tty (in run())
is for.  I think I know what it's trying to do, I just can't figure out why
it's doing it.  (I'll probably stop it from doing it and see what breaks.)

3) The behavior of different kernel versions apparently varies here.  It's not
that much code to just do it ourselves to get consistent behavior, so...

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)