[BusyBox] awk problem with freeswan

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 5 05:11:38 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 10:47, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Busybox awk doesn't seem to like freeswan's setup scripts.  I've
> isolated one problem to this testcase.  It seems that busybox gets upset
> by the "break", though both gawk and mawk are happy with it.
>
> $ cat t.awk
> BEGIN {
> for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) {
>                 if (0) {
>                         break
>                 }
>         }
> }
> $ ./busybox awk -f t.awk
> awk: t.awk:5: Unexpected token
> $ mawk -f t.awk
> $ gawk -f t.awk
> $
>
> p.

Busybox awk is horked eight ways from sunday.  Somebody needs to give it the
kind of major cleanup I did to sed last year, but it's not going to be me
anytime soon.  (I've got too many other to-do items in busybox right now, and
I'd not looking forward to learning awk anyway...)

Right now I'm using gawk in my little "busybox as part of a development
environment" distro.  (Which I'm almost ready to use on a server, except that
it doesn't have an ftp client, an ssh client, a shutdown command...)  Several
./configure and build scripts rely fairly heavily on awk, and they all go
"boing" with the busybox version...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)