[BusyBox] Is there an "init" standard?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 5 02:38:11 UTC 2004

Okay, we've got links to various things in the open group like:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/sed.html

But is there one defining how init should work?  I'm currently extensively
rewriting init, and making a few judgement calls in the process.

For example, all that guessing "where is our console" just went away in favor
of A) checking the environment variables "console" and "CONSOLE" to see if
the kernel command line said where it is, B) falling back to the default
value "/dev/console" if neither of those is specified (which can be a symlink
for all I care), C) using "/dev/null" if we can't open the console from A/B.

For some of these tangles of cruft, it would be nice to see what the actual
spec has to say.  Some of this stuff, it's hard to tell if there's a reason
for it or if it's a historical accumulation...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)