[BusyBox] Libbb as a shared library

Niklas Brunbäck niklas at dsv.su.se
Thu Jan 29 22:47:27 UTC 2004

Hello!

I think this question has been asked before on the list, but I couldn't
find it. Would it be possible to turn busybox into a shared library,
making it easier to add/remove single applications from a system? How much
effort is involved in this? Could it be turned into a configuration
option? The reason I ask is that I want to use busybox/uclibc in a tiny
general-purpose package-based floppy distribution (using ipkg), where the
packages will reside on say a second floppy. I would like to be able to
add some server functionality (like httpd) or maybe tryout another shell
without recompiling. I realize that this probably would make busybox
bigger, but I have no idea how much bigger... Maybe the size/flexibility
trade-off would be acceptable in some cases?

Niklas