[BusyBox] Busybox "expr" is broken.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jan 25 18:52:31 UTC 2004

So I'm bashing away on ./configure with busybox in the path, trying to see
what else is broken.  Currently bashing my way through the glibc build, and I
found a problem with expr.  The following works differently with busybox expr
and gnu expr:

expr "UNKNOWN" \< 5

Gnu returns 0, busybox returns 1.  This is what's causing perl not to be
detected.  (`perl -V:apiversion` is returning UNKNOWN, which gets passed to a
production like the above to see if perl is too old to be usable, and we say
"yes, UNKNOWN is less than 5!" which causes the ./configure script to disable
perl.)

For once, it's not a sed problem! :)