[BusyBox] Few problems (1.00-pre5)

Glenn McGrath bug1 at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 18 09:45:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:13:51 -0500
Marc Karasek <marc_karasek at ivivity.com> wrote:

> 2) Using inetd  for telnetd.  When I start the inetd service it prints
> a message to /var/log/messages:
> daemon.err inetd[79]: telnet/tcp: unknown service
>
> I checked the inetd.conf file as well as the services and protocol
> files in /etc and they all look ok.

telnetd from inetd is working for me, i introduced a bug into cvs
yesterday, but its working now.

In your /etc/inetd.conf you should have a line
telnet	stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/telnetd telnetd

and in /etc/services you need
telnet          23/tcp

Or, if you dont have /etc/services, just
23	stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/telnetd telnetd

I suspect you dont have a /etc/services file so your system cant resolve
"telnet" to a port number.

Glenn