shfs over ssh (was Re: [BusyBox] Scriptable telnet?)

Friedrich Lobenstock fl at fl.priv.at
Sun Jan 11 23:24:24 UTC 2004

Csaba Henk wrote on 12.01.2004 00:01 MET:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:
>
>>Csaba Henk wrote on 11.01.2004 15:02 MET:
>>
>>>I want to make shfs (http://shfs.sourceforge.net [...]
>>
>>Have you tried to use dropbear as ssh daemon?
>>See http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
>
> That's a good pointer!
>
> I tried shfs hosts based on uclibc/busybox, with rrshd (
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/rrshd
>
> ) (as I used it within a secure network, rsh was OK for me). The
> problem with was that it made my uClibc bloated, as it needed the rpc
> stuff. I'm afraid dropbear would need it too...

Maybe you can disable the rpc stuff when you know that you will only
use ssh. Just a guess.

> Anyway, the main point is that wouldn't be it cool to use shfs based
> *only* on busybox? ;)

Secure only if dropbear get's integrated into busybox. And I don't
know if that's a good idea as you can compile dropbear and it's
utilities as a single call binary like busybox and then it's stripped
size is approx. 120kB an the CRIS platform compared to 320kB when
compiled as multiple binaries.

--
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock