[BusyBox] busybox "ash" doesn't report "not found"

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jan 6 00:46:24 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 08:17, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:

> > Perhaps you could provide some details at to what is broken
> > in ash in -pre5?  It works nicely for me, and my wireless
> > access point is very happy with it,
>
>  From what I can read on the list the following stuff has been broken
> in pre4/pre5 (might have been fixed but it is IMO not a very good sign
> if things break that worked before):

I take this as a sign that you've never encountered the concept of
"development" before, have you?  (This is why regression testing exists.
However, no regression test suite is perfect.  This is why -pre releases are
put out rather than going "we changed some stuff and we know it's perfect,
here's a release!")

> (have not tested the following in pre3, but they've been found broken in
> pre4/5) * sed

There was a major overhaul of sed in the long pause after -pre3, and a LOT of
things the old sed code couldn't do are now handled by the new code.  The new
one actually survives usage by ./configure scripts for some packages (not all
yet).

The _only_ complaint I've gotten about it was due to two lines being in the
wrong place, and it was fixed as soon as I got a test case.  The fix is in
CVS now.  If anybody else has a test case where the SuS spec for sed says do
one thing (backed up by a sed implementation like gnu sed), and we do
something else, give it to me and I'll fix it.  (I have one pending test case
that I might still fix before release, but it's really a gnu extension we
don't support rather than part of the SuS description of sed.)

If you know of a real problem, gimme a test case and I'll fix it.