[BusyBox] suddenly, busybox init process is failing spectacularly

David Meggy dmeggy at techsol.ca
Mon Feb 23 15:10:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 06:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> thought were some minor config options in BB, and suddenly the boot
> process was failing miserably.  after backing off to what should have been
> a working configuration from the CVS repository, it's *still* failing, and

If you change any options in Busybox, you must do a make clean before
building a new busybox.

> Mounted devfs on /dev
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init
> Bumme       <---- ??????????????????????????????????????
> Please press Enter to activate this console.

It seems to me that it skipped your /etc/init.d/rcS file and jumped
straight to running /bin/sh on your serial port.  Do you have your
kernel set to have this port as the console?

> BusyBox v1.00-pre7 (2004.02.21-11:53+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> -sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
>   normally, at this point, i expect to see INIT start up and start running
> everything in /etc/rc.sh.  instead, i get the chopped off string "Bumme"
> and nothing being run out of /etc/inittab, apparently.  (annoyingly,

/etc/rc.sh?  default is /etc/init.d/rcS

This has been skipped already.  You are passed this point.

> minicom insists on chopping off that error string, which is unfortunate
> since i assume seeing the whole thing might have been informative.  more
> on that shortly.)

ALT-W or CTRL-W, or whatever you have minicom set to, will turn on
linewrap.  Minicom has a good help screen that you should look at.

> # mount
> mount: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
>
> but i can manually mount that with
>
> # mount -t proc proc /proc

this is normal if you have selected mount to use /proc/mounts in replace
of /etc/mtab

> and manually do the rest of what's in /etc/rc.sh.  so, clearly, init isn't
> doing any of that at boot time.  what could be causing init to simply not
> run properly?  this worked so nicely for the last couple of days.

sounds like it is skipping the startup

David

--
     David Meggy