[BusyBox] format of "dpkg" packages

David Meggy dmeggy at techsol.ca
Wed Feb 18 21:55:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 13:03, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   is there a concise definition of BB-compatible .deb files understood
> by "dpkg"?  is there anything different from the standard format?  and

I know I have seem this document on Debian's web pages somewhere.  If I
remember correctly it is an ar package, with gzipped internals.  You can
extract the components with ar, and take a look at them.

> i'm still unclear on the difference between dpkg and dpkg-deb.  thanks.

The man pages are pretty good.  dpkg-deb is a helper program to dpkg.
dpkg-deb just does packing and unpacking.

David

--
     David Meggy

Technical Solutions Inc.