[BusyBox] Re: busybox install -c behaviour

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Fri Feb 13 10:01:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Manuel Novoa III wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:51:18PM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I tried to use busybox's install in a dev environment (newly built from
> > > current buildroot/uclibc/busybox, this is the first source built)
> > >
> > > command (ran by make install)is:
> > > install -c <filename> <new-location>/<filename>
> > >
> > > and it tries to install the file into:
> > > <new-location>/<filename>/<filename>
> > >
> > > Interesting enough, it can install 4 files first correctly, only the 5-th
> > > does not work
> > > install -c .libs/rpmb /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb (and rpmd,rpmi,rpmk) works
> > > but install -c .libs/rpmq /usr/lib/rpm/rpmq says
> > > unable to open `/usr/lib/rpm/rpmq/rpmq': No such file or directory
> > > now I run make install again and get 2 files further, after that the error
> > > is repeated
> > > now I run make install again, and it runs to the end.
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Answering myself:
> > I have tested this in a stable uclibc environment, where I have changed
> > only install with busybox install, it works correctly, so I suppose, the
> > changes in uclibc are the problem.
It happens also in the stable env, for ex: I have rebuilt buildroot from
scratch (within uClibc, only change is coreutils.install changed to
busybox install) and when uClibc installs ldconfig, if I remove ";" from
the end of the line, it works, if ";" is left in, it fails (it fails only
within make install, if I run install -c with ";" added on the command
line, it works.
At this point the used install is probably that of the system

After this it happens again on installing ld-new as
build_i386/root/usr/bin/ld (binutils-target), but here is no ";"
last lines are:
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c ld-new /usr/bin/ld
/usr/bin/install -c ld-new /usr/.../buildroot/build_i386/root/usr/bin/ld
install: unable to open
`/usr/.../buildroot/build_i386/root/usr/bin/ld/ld-new': No such file or
install: cannot change permissions of ...
install: cannot change ownership of ...
make: *** [install-exec-local] Error 1
make: `Leaving directory /usr/.../buildroot/build_i386/binutils-target/ld'

I do not know which install was now used, that from the build system, or
from build_i386/root

Peter