[BusyBox] Re: [uClibc] minit and msvc

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Thu Feb 12 18:43:38 UTC 2004

Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Sorry crossposting, I have no idea where to put the problem ;-(
>
>If I boot with init=/sbin/minit (I have configured /etc/minit to boot up
>correctly, mount fs, etc...), I can stop a service with msvc -d dropbear
>from the commandline, but if I use a simple shell script as
>/etc/minit/ctrlaltdel/run, like:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>
>/bin/msvc -d dropbear (or /etc/minit/dropbear), and press
><CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL>, this hangs. I see the run script and msvc -d
>dropbear in the process list. The service is not important that has to be
>stopped, it happens also on getty/mingetty/syslogd/klogd.
>
>The shell used does not matter, I have tried bash/busybox ash/busybox msh.

Macroscopically, isn't this asking for trouble?

You've got minit reacting to a C-A-D, but in that reaction you're
causing minit to deactive one of its children... abstractly, it's like
recursing through the minit process.

Is it worth investigating whether your "msvc -d dropbear" is waiting for
a response from minit, while minit is waiting for the script to complete
before it services more requests (including the script's request)?

Allan