[BusyBox] Archiveyness.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Dec 13 17:29:33 UTC 2004

Okay, I want to add cpio create ability in order to make kernel initramfs
images, and while I'm there I might as well add cramfs and mkisofs and maybe
eventually even genext2fs since they're basically all archives of one form or
another.

I'm wandering through the current archive creation/extraction helper code and
it's a bit of a mess.  I'd expected tree traversal and filtering code
(presumably shared with "find" for archive create) with callbacks into the
specific archiver to go "here's a file, add it to your archive" or vice
versa, but that doesn't quite appear to be the case.

Currently from a really quick glance, the only archiver in the tree I noticed
having the ability to create files is tar.  Several can extract: tar, ar,
cpio, rpm, and deb that I've noticed.  I don't expect there's any sort of
documentation on the shared unpacking infrastructure...? :)

First question:

What is the relationship between dpkg and dpkg_deb?  (These are the only users
of filter_accept_list_reassign...)  I was under the vague impression that
they weren't used anymore.  I do a cleanup that winds up breaking them, is
anybody particularly likely to care?