[BusyBox] cp.c SUSv3 compliance

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Dec 11 18:03:39 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 07:10 pm, Jacob Marble wrote:
>   I'm working in cp.c, adding SUSv3 flags -H, -L and -P.  I would like
> to know if there is some formal test (other than the bb testsuite
> scripts) to verify/validate SUSv3 compliance?

Not that I know of, but I've been considering making one for sed and sort.
(We've got the spec...)

My main block here is that I tend to want to make one big shell script that
runs a lot of tests, and the way the current busybox tests go they have one
test per file, which means I have to create lots of little tiny files in CVS,
which scares me deeply because I don't know how to make any of them go away
again.  (Besides, running one darn script that lets you know if everything
worked or not just makes more sense to me.  I compare gnu and busybox
behavior via "./test.sh sort" and "./test.sh ./sort"...)

>   I've read the SUSv3 cp doc a couple of times, there are no links
> there to such tools.  I've googled for it, but I think I'm using
> incorrect terminology.

There's a posix test suite that LWN was happy abou ta while back, but it tests
libc, not the command line.  The Linux Test Project people at IBM here in
Austin were looking for a good command line exerciser a while ago, and the
best I could point them to was the existing busybox tests.  They may have
something better by now...

>   What does everyone else use?

I have my own set of tools I haven't been able to check in because they're
nothing like the current test stuff.  :(

I originally tested sed with a python script, but I've moved to a big
shellscript because the busybox build really shouldn't have python or perl
dependencies, even for testing...

If subversion ever happens, I'll look at checking in better sed and sort
tests, but right now I'm still trying to check in the better sort.c and
connecting code...

> Where do the BB_AUDIT comments come from?

Glen, I think.