[BusyBox] POSIX conformance

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Aug 29 01:00:48 UTC 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 09:20, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:58:41 -0500
>
> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 August 2004 02:19, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > > Required, at least partially available in busybox
> > > =================================================
> > > (i didnt check supported options or functionality)
> > >
> > > sed
> >
> > What's missing?  What?  I got everything I know about except /t
> > support...
>
> Nothing that i know of, this section lists commands that are available
> under busybox, they may or may not be in conformance with the POSIX
> spec, i didnt check.

I did. :)

Not necessarily all that systematically.  Going back and doing a confirmation
pass has been on my to-do list for a while...

> > > Shell Commands - Shouldn't use PATH
> > > ===================================
> > > cd
> > > command
> > > false
> > > fg
> > > getopts
> > > kill
> > > pwd
> > > read
> > > true
> > > umask
> > > wait
> >
> > Shouldn't use path?
> >
> > Getting built-in commands to work in a chroot environment in ash is
> > just evil with the whole reentry thing...
>
> In the posix spec  section 2.9.1 Simple Commands (goto shells &
> utilities; shell command language)
>
> Under Command Search and Execution it says (abreviated)
>
> If the command doesnt have a slash in it, its not a special builtin,
> its not the name of a shell function, it is the name of of one of the
> mentioned commands then the command is invoked... The next step is to
> search the PATH for the command name.
>
> I assume its implied that they are builtin.

Builtin I understand.  And  cd _has_ to be built in because if you fork you
only change the child's cwd, so that supports the rest of it...

Meaning we need to get built-in commands working for posix conformance.
Fiddling with that used to be on my to-do list, but it got edged out by
"rewrite the darn shell mess to have one unified shell you can configure
options out of to get a small or large shell as needed".  Yeah, it's a tough
one, but the current three-shell mess is just icky...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)