[BusyBox] BusyBox 1.0.0-rc3 released

Glenn McGrath bug1 at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 16 16:35:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:49:44 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> some projects (in particular, some embedded projects, including some i
>
> know about personally) need to have their entire software foundation
> "qualified" by the client.  that is, the client will sign off on a
> product, given that there is a complete and stable packing list of all
>
> software on that system.  if any changes are made, the client may very
>
> well demand a new qualification, since they have no way of knowing
> whether an upgrade to one component will affect other parts of the
> product.

"Release often, release early" is what a lot of open source people swear
by.

You dont have to use 1.0 in your project, you could follow 1.0.x until
it stabilises to your satisfaction and sign off on that.

I believe after 1.0 we will go back to an actively maintained stable
and unstable branch as well, the problem we got into last time
is that the two branches got too far out of sync. Moving to subversion
is supposed to assist in maintianing the two seperate branches.

New features will go into the unstable branch and ideally will migrate
stable branch after a reasonable amount of testing.

I think in terms of end users and stability, the thing we really want to
see is the death os 0.60.x :)

Glenn