[BusyBox] Another modprobe patch

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 14 17:44:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 10:53:59PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> At this stage i think its better to maintain compatability with the
> official modprobe, and keep the paths. There may be scritps that
> parse the output of modprobe for some reason.

If you're interested in maintaining compatibility with modprobe, then where
is the support for above and below.  I think it's more likely to have
systems that depend on that support then there is on systems that parse the
output.

Meanwhile, without my patch, modprobe simply does not work properly.  With
my patch at least it does.

If you really want to keep the paths, then apply my patch, and enhance the
dep_t and mod_list_t structures where you replace m_module with m_name and
m_path.  Use m_name for comparisons, and m_path for execution.  If you
really want, I can gen up such a patch.  Just let me know what you want the
diff against.

I was originally going to go that path, but once I discovered that insmod
didn't NEED the full path, I realized I could save a lot of memory this
way.

But, to be honest, when using busybox on a minimalist system, the
modules.dep file is probably going to be pretty small, so the actual
memory usage isn't going to be very different between full and no paths.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda at ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/