[BusyBox] inittab ignored ?

Giampiero Campa Giampiero.Campa at mail.wvu.edu
Sat Aug 14 16:09:55 UTC 2004

Hi all,

i am relatively new to busybox,
i have used version 1.00-pre5 some time ago
to create a (working) boot-root floppy, but i have
a problem with the new version (1.00-rc2):

I have the following inittab file :
::sysinit:/etc/rc
::respawn:/bin/sh
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
and everything used to work just fine with 1.00-pre5.

Now i am using the 1.00-rc2 version and it seems
to me that now init ignores the inittab file altogether
even though i enabled reading it in the configuration ...

i say so because:
-) it searches for /etc/init.d/rcS even if the
 line in inittab says /etc/rc and rc is executable,
-) it still gives the message "Please press enter to start this console"
even though the line in inittab says respawn not askfirst ...

do you think i am doing something wrong
or is something changed since 1.00-pre5 ???

I need an unattended reboot, how can i disable the message
"Please press enter to start this console" ??

thanks a lot

Universe rebooting in 5 min.  Please log out.
Giampiero Campa, PhD, Research Assistant Professor
http://www2.cemr.wvu.edu/~gcampa/