[BusyBox] Can't execute binary other than Busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Aug 9 22:59:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 00:00, jigar shah wrote:
> Hi,all
>
>        I installed busybox 0.60.5 on a compact flash along with kernel
> 2.4.18.  I configured busybox with everything almost default, except for
> the following

Have you heard of something called "shared libraries"?

You didn't say whether or not your busybox was statically linked, whether
you're using gcc or uclibc...

> The scripts runs and I get no error messages.  Then at the prompt i try to
> execute a program and it says "not found", but when I 'ls'
> its clearly there.  I used the following command:
>
> $./test
>
> :sh:./a.out: not found

Is _that_ statically linked?  What might be "not found" is the shared
libraries it needs.  Run ldd on a.out (on the system you copied it from) to
see what (if anything) it wants to link to.

> testprogram was compiled on a harddrive with linux RH and with the same
> kernel & same architecture (Here I am using Xscale). I tried with other
> binary programs as well and I just don't know
> how to execute it!  I am using the ash shell by
> the way.

If you're using red hat, you can "man ld.so" to start reading up on what you
need to know.

> Thanks,
>
> jigar shah

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)