PATCH - arp applet (Re: [BusyBox] Adding arp to busybox)

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Thu Apr 29 23:53:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:02:37PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
>
> > The arp applet is completely unacceptable as it stands,
>
> Perhaps. But presumably it's better than nothing for those who need it.

There's already enough bloated code in busybox that was added at some
time one the same presumption.  I can probably count on the fingers of
one hand the number of people who have done anything about that in the
past year.  And as one of them, I'm firmly against inclusion of any
more bloated code.

If the applet were added to busybox, likely no one would look at it.
But if they need to apply a patch, then possibly some one will take
the time to make the code acceptable for inclusion.

> > due to ridiculous amounts of bloat.
>
> I guess we can blame net-tools for that.

We can blame the net-tools people for bloat in the upstream code.
But we can NOT blame them for the bloat in the submitted applet.

> People can now start shaving.

This applet needs more than "shaving".  The level of redundant code
pretty much mandates a rewrite.

Manuel