[BusyBox] Build-in 'read' command & optional switches ?

sander dijkstra sandijk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 07:57:54 UTC 2004

Does the build-in read command of busybox's ash accept any optional switches ??

I have a few bash scripts which I want to run in busybox, but the 'read' command ain't accepting the -n1 switch. In Bash scripting the -n switch allows one to read N characters instead of a single line. This way userinput doesn't need to wait for the [enter] key. I couldn't find any info on optional switches for the read command ? are there any at all ?

If not, is there another way I could ask the user to input a single key without enter ?

Thanks in advance