[BusyBox] Issue with strings (1.00-pre10)

Ian Latter Ian.Latter at mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 14 11:03:30 UTC 2004

Hello,

  I put this off; I've seen the same issue in pre8,pre9 and pre10, but
I've just confirmed the fix.

  In my distro, I have busybox running fine, except that;

       strings /README
       busybox strings /README
       cat /README | busybox strings

(where README is a plain text file -- not at this is important)
all produce "strings" output, except where inserted between
the 4th and 5th chars are a dollar sign, yen sign and an at
sign, on every row -- consistent across all builds in the past
two months or so.

The same binary on my RedHat9 dev box does not produce
this error (just nice clean strings output)

However, the strings buffer is n=4 (-1).  Removing the
comment on  miscutils/strings.c line 70 (string[n]=`                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         !