[BusyBox] start-stop-daemon problem in pre9

Manousaridis Angelos amanous at inaccessnetworks.com
Tue Apr 13 11:38:40 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I upgraded to pre9 and have some problems with start-stop-daemon.
I don't know if there is some reasoning I fail to grasp, but now
"-S -x /sbin/foobar" does not work, neither the "-K -x /sbin/foobar".
You need to define the name as well "-S -x /sbin/foobar -n foobar".

~ # ./start-stop-daemon -S -x /sbin/telnetd
/sbin/telnetd already running.
110
~ # ./start-stop-daemon -S -x /sbin/telnetd
/sbin/telnetd already running.
110
~ # echo $$
110

Somehow the pid of the running shell got in the process list!

Another problem which is certainly a bug is that during "stop" the
process pid is entered twice in the list. This causes an extra kill
signal to be sent to a proccess that sometimes has already died:

~ # ./start-stop-daemon -S -x /sbin/telnetd -n telnetd
~ # ./start-stop-daemon -K -x /sbin/telnetd -n telnetd
stopped telnetd (pid 176 176).

OR

~ # ./start-stop-daemon -K -x /sbin/telnetd -n telnetd
start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 167:: No such process
stopped telnetd (pid 167).

I attach a patch that addresses the second issue. I will look into the
first issue and come back.

--
Manousaridis Angelos