[BusyBox] BB-0.60.5 and Inodes observation

jmrobert5 at mchsi.com jmrobert5 at mchsi.com
Mon Apr 12 13:20:21 UTC 2004

Hi All,

We are using BusyBox0.60.5 (for a long time now obviously) and recently have
noticed and issue.  We run on an embedded x386 with a Disk On Chip flashdisk.  I
have built in the MTD flash support into the kernel.  The filesystem is Ext2
with 1k inodes.

Our issue is that when updating files on the chip (i.e. flash upgrade), if the
file is in use, such as a lib, we get a number of dirty inodes that continue to
consume space even after rebooting.  This slowly fills the flash disk until an
upgrade dies because disk is full.  E2fsck does fix it, but I hate to have to
install 566kb e2fsck or pass it around forever on upgrade files.

So my question, to investigate this further, perhaps someone has encountered
this and can provide a few references that I can follow up.  I mean at this
point I am unsure is it strictly a kernel issue, ext2 fs, busybox or some
combination?  Any pointers would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Joe Robertson
jmrobert5 at mchsi.com