[BusyBox] Another sed bug: makefile dependencies.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 25 09:57:51 UTC 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 04:02, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:50:28 -0500
>
> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> > Build busybox, with sed support.  Go into menuconfig.  Toggle gnu
> > compatability.  Type make.  Three files get rebuilt, but editors/sed.o
> > is not one of them.
>
> Yes, ive know about that for a while, it happens with a lot of the
> features, im in the habit of doing a make clean too often.
>
> Im not sure what causes it.
>

> Glenn

There's no dependency between sed.c and the file that changed (the header file
with all the #defines for config info.)

Of course if there WAS, every config change in unrelated parts of the code
would cause suprious rebuilds of every fil that cared about a config change.

In theory, makedep should be able to do something about this.  I wonder how
the linux kernel people solved it?