[BusyBox] two busybox 0.60.5 patches (insmod/modprobe)

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Mon Sep 22 23:21:16 UTC 2003

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 05:38:15PM -0500, Cam Mayor wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 16:31, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> > Actually, isblank() is ANSI/ISO C99.  You need to update your
> > documentation.
>
> Perhaps.  My documentation on this came from ctype.h on arm-linux-gcc 2.95.3,
> which _does_ have
> #ifdef  __USE_ISOC99
> __exctype (isblank);
> #endif
> although i am apparently not configured to use it.  (ie. __USE_ISOC99 not def)

See the comments in include/features.h.  To enable C99 prototypes,
add -D_ISOC99_SOURCE to your compiler flags.

> Also, my standard source of C/C++ library reference is dinkumware, which does
> not list isblank() in ctype.h.
> http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?b=p/&h=ctype.html
> (you may not be able to surf directly to this link)

Yes, I'm familiar with Plauger's work and have a copy of his 1992 book
"The Standard C Library".  It looks like he forgot to list isblank()
on the ctype page, even though it is included in the diagram.

You may want to add http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm
to your list of references.

> Nonetheless, my compiler(s) barfed on it.  I cannot easily change my
> compilers at the moment without affecting a larger supply and versioning

No need, as it isn't a compiler problem.

> > Out of curiosity, which compilers and C libraries are you using?
>
> arm-linux-gcc/++/etc 2.95.3
> binutils 2.11
> plus another arm cross compiler version of gcc 2.95.3 compiled to use a
> uClibc snapshot from Aug 10, 2001

Well, that explains why isblank() and basename() are missing.
A lot has changed in uClibc in the past 2 years.  Regretably, you
can't easily upgrade uClibc either because of ABI differences.

Manuel