[BusyBox] WORKS! - but still and issue -- 1.00-pre2/pre3 -shell/ash.c Internal compilererror

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Sep 17 20:53:32 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 15:13, David Douglas wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I still can't get the console to come up on my embedded system...
>
> I've tried using both ttyS0 and tty1.
>
> I'm pretty sure that init is getting called from the kernel because it
> never comes back.  I have instrumented the kernel up to that point and
> it calls /sbin/init.
>
> Whatever it is, my kernel and console still works with the old 0.60
> busybox.  It MUST be something with my configuration.
>
> In my inittab I've tried
> ttys0:respawn:-/bin/ash
> And
> tty1:respawn:-/bin/ash
>
> any suggestions?

You're sure you've correctly created and set the permissions on the
appropriate /dev entries?

Rob

(It's an "any suggestion". :)

There's also (and this is disgusting), "init=ptrace init 2> /dev/ttyS0" or
some similar monstrosity that almost certainly won't actually work in that
form, but you get the idea...

You can also stick printfs in the busybox source.  Yes, even if it's not
printing anything to the console.  Open up the busybox source, stick fprintf
calls in the bits you're trying to examine, and have them write to /dev/ttyS0
(which you manually opened and stuck the filehandle into a global variable
"debug" or some such to make it easy to use the fprintfs with.)  If busybox
init is trying to find tty1, this shouldn't interfere with that...

You can also play with pauses and beeps if you can't get that to work.  (look
at play_beep in http://www.johnath.com/beep/beep.c).  It just mans there
would be a lot more recompile/reboot steps because a beep doesn't say as much
as a string.  But you can get a yes/no out of it, plus long/short and
high/low...

(I have a black belt is sick evil cheesy debugging techniques that make you go
"ew".  Let me know if you need more... :)