[BusyBox] WORKS! - but still and issue -- 1.00-pre2/pre3 - shell/ash.c Internal compilererror

Gad bugchong at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 16 05:56:32 UTC 2003

Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Tue Sep 16, 2003 at 02:58:12PM +1000, Gad wrote:
>
>>David Douglas wrote:
>>
>>>Ok,
>>>
>>>So now it builds, but I'm having another problem.  The shell does not
>>>seem to be responding properly when I use this busybox.  With the 0.60.5
>>>busybox the shell works OK and I can access the ramdisk.  However, with
>>>the pre3 busybox, nothing echo's back when I type a command...  It just
>>>acts like nothing is there.
>>>

>>Could your problem be related to (or the same as) mine?
>>After booting 1.00-pre3, I get "can't access tty: job control turned
>>off" and a few other things and can't type anything:
>>
>>http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2003-September/009293.html
>

> Quoting the uClibc FAQ:
>
>     Why do I keep getting "sh: can't access tty; job control
>     turned off" errors?  Why doesn't Control-C work within my
>     shell?
>
>     This isn't really a uClibc question, but I'll answer it here
>     anyways.  Job control will be turned off since your shell can
>     not obtain a controlling terminal.  This typically happens
>     when you run your shell on /dev/console.  The kernel will not
>     provide a controlling terminal on the /dev/console device.
>     Your should run your shell on a normal tty such as tty1 or
>     ttyS0 and everything will work perfectly.  If you REALLY want
>     your shell to run on /dev/console, then you can hack your
>     kernel (if you are into that sortof thing) by changing
>     drivers/char/tty_io.c to change the lines where it sets
>     "noctty = 1;" to instead set it to "0".  I recommend you
>     instead run your shell on a real console...
>
>  -Erik

I've read the FAQ and searched the list, but nothing seems to apply to
this case.

This is a self contained boot floppy, to run on a normal PC. It worked
_fine_ with 0.6.50/uClibc 0.9.20 (following the bootfloppy howto in the
BB documentation).

It only breaks when I switch to BB 1.00-preX (with either uClibc 0.9.20
or 0.9.21).

I haven't changed anything else - the same 2.2.25 kernel (all it's made
of is kernel, modules and BB binaries and libraries).

Gad

--
http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~gabraham