[BusyBox] chown removes setuid permission

Andrew Walrond andrew at walrond.org
Tue Sep 9 10:54:41 UTC 2003

> "Andrew Walrond" <andrew at walrond.org> wrote:
> > There are vrious dependancies; stuff which won't build without a
> > 'real' tar, sed, install etc. I could put together a list if it would
> > be useful.
>
> Yea, that would be great.

Here we are then; Package, required tool.

audiofile    findutils
bash    sed
bcm4400    coreutils (install I think)
bitkeeeper    tar
busybox    coreutils (install)
cdparanoia    coreutils
coreutils    sed
conexant-adsl    coreutils, unzip
e2fsprogs    sed
gcc    sed,gawk
gettext    sed
ghostscript-fonts    tar
groff    sed
glibc    sed,gawk
less    sed
libmcrypt    gawk
libtool    tar
linux    coreutils,bash,modutils
man    coreutils
man-pages    coreutils
mhash    gawk
m4    tar
ncurses    gawk,coreutils
netkit-base    coreutils
net-tools    bash
pcre    sed
pciutils    sed
perl    gawk,coreutils
psmisc    sed
ruby    sed, grep
sudo    tar
tcl    sed
util-linux    coreutils
wireless-tools    coreutils
gzip    sed

This list may be out of date, or just plain wrong on occasion, but it is the
dependancy list I use with busybox 1.0-pre2

When I get a mo, I'll remove these dependancies from my build script and see
what still breaks.

> I did some work on sed a few months ago specifically to get it to the
> stage where its good enough for ./configure, you need to enable the sed
> "Embeded newline" option, its an ugly hack but it worked for me.

Yes, I use this

> busybox sed does still have bugs though.

Yep ;)

> I think busybox tar should be good enough, ill be keen to fix that up.
>
>From memory, I think it was the lack of hardlink support that causes most
problems with tar.

> For me, configure handled not having the install binary by using the
> install shell script that autoconf provides. I guess not every package
> that uses install uses autoconf though.

Yes, install would be a very useful tools to have and would remove alot of
the coreutils dependancies from the above list

Andrew Walrond