[BusyBox] Sed and vi.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 10 22:02:27 UTC 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 04:10, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <200310100005.16180.rob at landley.net> you wrote:
> > You can enter sed commands at the colon prompt of vi.  For example, colon
>
> This is wrong.
>
> At the colon prompt of vi you can enter ex/vi commands. These may  be
> similar to some sed commands, but in general they are not.
>
> > Not that i have a shortage of to-do items, but might it be a good idea
> > someday to merge busybox vi and busybox sed somewhat, to cut down on
> > duplication and add functionality?
>
> There are many things in sed that are  not  available  or  completely
> different  in  vi:  {  }  blocks,  : labels, =; other commands behave
> differently: a, i, b, t, c, g/G, h/H, n/N, y.
>
> I don't see much potential to merge these  tools  while  keeping  the
> standard interface working.

I think it's worth a look to see if some code can be shared, but it's not a
high priority.  I'm hip deep in rewriting bzip decompress to be about half
its original size, properly commented, and readable.  (It's looking like the
new version probably won't have ANY of the original code left...)

No real reason, I just got the bit between my teeth and am running with it...
:)