[BusyBox] [patch] New applet, "count".

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 3 23:39:53 UTC 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 01:19, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:33:37 -0500
>
> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> > This is something I've used a lot, it's a quick and dirty progress
> > indicator for a pipeline.  Read from stdin, write to stdout, write a
> > progress indicator to stderr.
>
> There is a progress meter in wget that does something similar, buts its
> not standalone.
>
> networking/wget.c progressmeter()

A friend of mine suggested doing something like that.  The problem is that you
don't know how many bytes to expect unless you pass it in on the command
line, so a bar graph type progress meter, for example, doesn't have enough
information to display properly...

And I was trying to keep it small and simple, this being busybox... :)

> Perhaps miscutils would be more approriate for something like this, if
> others think it would be usefull.

I put it in coreutils because that's where uuencode and uudecode were.  I
looked at miscutils, and nothing in there dealt with stdin or stdout much.

I don't care where it goes, though.  It might be good to have a "busybox
extensions" directory of some kind.  There are already two or three, I
believe...