[BusyBox] [patch] New applet, "count".

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 3 05:33:37 UTC 2003

This is something I've used a lot, it's a quick and dirty progress indicator
for a pipeline.  Read from stdin, write to stdout, write a progress indicator
to stderr.

I first wrote the sucker back when I had to image drives as part of a test
scenario, and it took an hour per run...

cat /dev/hdb | count | tee /dev/hdc /dev/hdd /dev/hde > /dev/hdf

But there's all sorts of fun little uses for it.  Ever had to do a big tar
backup through the network?

tar cj . | count | ssh user at remote "cat > backup.tbz"

Drop the new file (count.c) into the coreutils directory, and apply the patch
to graft it into busybox...