[BusyBox] Syntax of files used by ifup

Arthur Othieno a.othieno at bluewin.ch
Wed Oct 1 10:57:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:31:22PM +0200, Bas Mevissen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a system using uClibc and BusyBox. It are very cool tools
> to use. But I miss a lot of documentation for the files it uses.
>
> In most cases, it was simply learning by example. But with the
> networking stuff, I'm stuck. Can someone tell me how to define a network
> card (say eth0) with a certain IP adress and netmask?
>
> I edited /etc/.../interfaces with the following line (from the top of my
> head):
>
> iface eth0 static
>
> But where to put the IP adress and netmask? And what is the format of
> this file?

The format for /etc/network/interfaces is described in interfaces(5)
(man 5 interfaces). In your case, you probably want something of this
nature (substitute accordingly):

  iface ethN inet static
	address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Regards,

Arthur

--
Linux is a true multitasking system. Are you?