[BusyBox] login problems

Artemio theman at artemio.net
Fri Nov 28 08:28:52 UTC 2003

Hello everybody,

and please take my super-congrats for your great work under busybox - this
thing really rocks!

I have a tiny floppy distro with kernel 2.4.18 and busybox 1.00-pre3. Root fs
is mounted as a ram disk via lilo and it uses squashfs (read-only). Busybox
is compiled statically, and I don't have anything except it and configs on
the root fs.

I have these questions:

1. I had ttyN::askfirst:-/bin/sh on all ttys and that was ok. But when I
changed to ttyN::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 ttyN, and try to login, login
says "Login incorrect". I copied (and trimmed to root and one user) passwd,
shadow, group and gshadow files from my hard disk install, so they should(?)
contain the same login data I work with on this install.

2. Is there a way to specify the environment variables for /bin/ash in the
style of bashrc?

Thanks a lot again for great work and good luck!

Artemio.