[BusyBox] vfork_daemon_rexec

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at asu.edu
Wed Nov 26 18:13:35 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 10:47, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> Russ,
>
> > because uclinux does not have fork(), daemon will just return -1, and do
> > nothing. Most uclinux libraries don't even have daemon.c compiled in.
>
> But busybox have fork() -> vfork alias.
> I think, busybox should have daemon(3)
> code for MMU-less system with vfork and with remark: use vfork_rexec() after.

some applets use a fork()->vfork() alias, but not all. Also, an alias is
not a fix, vfork does not behave in the same way as fork. If compiled
under uclinux with fork replaced with vfork, daemon will not work. There
is no way to make a daemon() equivalent under uclinux.

> > [BTW, your email server bounces all my mails saying that it doesn't
> > accept mail from spammers. I'd be nice if I knew why your mail server
> > thought I was a spammer]
>
> Excuse me. But your provider returned from whois service as 2 B-class net
> information only:
>
> Cox Communications Inc. SDRDC-68-6-0-0 (NET-68-6-0-0-1)
>                                    68.6.0.0 - 68.7.255.255
>
> I already have spam messages from this block and denied as "DSL" spammers.

whois info on cox.net also returns addresses, phone numbers, and dns
servers. Its not a DSL service, and it blocks any outbound (or inbound)
port 25 traffic to its residential customers. And anyway, the mail is
coming from mail.west.cox.net, not one of its subscriber IPs. If you are
blocking residential blocks, block residential blocks, but don't block
two servers (mail.west.cox.net and mail.east.cox.net) that server
1.8million customers

--
Russ Dill <Russ.Dill at asu.edu>