[BusyBox] pivot_root & exec normal init off initrd

Martin Hicks mort at wildopensource.com
Fri Nov 21 14:22:03 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've done this before, but it doesn't seem to be working for me with my
current configuration.  The basic idea is that i boot off an initrd
ramdisk, do some initial setup, mount the real root partition,
pivot_root and exec the real /sbin/init.

The machine is debian unstable on ia64.  Here is my linuxrc script:

#!/bin/sh

echo "Mounting /proc"
mkdir /proc
mount -t proc none /proc

echo "Mounting /dev/sda2 as the real root partition"
mount /dev/sda2 /root
cd /root
pivot_root . oldroot
cd /
exec /usr/sbin/chroot / /sbin/init </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1

I've also stuck "/bin/sh" as the first line of the linuxrc and typed the
commands in by hand.  The result is that I get:

Usage: init 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu

Please press Enter to activate this console.

Any ideas why this is happening?  Have I missed a step in this setup?
Thanks
mh
--
Martin Hicks                Wild Open Source Inc.
mort at wildopensource.com     613-266-2296