[BusyBox] Problem with syslogd

Stewart Brodie stewart at metahusky.net
Thu Nov 20 16:02:30 UTC 2003

Jason <jason at jasonandjessi.com> wrote:

> Just got done fighting this myself...
>
> Is your root filesystem RO?  /dev/log must be rw.  I got around this by
> mounting initrd rw (kernel 2.4.18+ doesn't seem to mount initrd rw anymore
> but ro).   Good luck.

I never mount my root filesystem read-write.  I made my /dev/log be a
symbolic link to /var/run/.syslog.socket instead, as syslogd will create the
real socket there instead and that's writable (/var is a RAM disc which I
create on system boot and then create diretories like run, etc, log, and
even dev directories in to house those things that have to be written.

--
Stewart Brodie