[BusyBox] error building busybox from CVS with older toolchain

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 17:01:28 UTC 2003

  i know i've posted on this before, but i thought i'd just summarize my
experience in building busybox for a power pc.

  just now, downloaded the latest CVS source and, after selecting a
*load* of options, did a "make" using a specific toolchain i've referred
to before.  apparently, because the toolchain is based on older parts,
what i get is:
/usr/local/ppc860-linux/bin/powerpc-linux-gcc -I./include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG     -c -o applets/applets.o applets/applets.c
In file included from include/busybox.h:49,
                 from applets/applets.c:32:
include/libbb.h:481: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `uint8_t'
include/libbb.h:481: parse error before `hash_algo'
include/libbb.h:481: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
make: *** [applets/applets.o] Error 1

  if, however, i simply run "make menuconfig" and switch to a PPC
toolchain from www.denx.de, it compiles.  so, given that i can get a
successful compile, i'm happy with that.  thought i'd just mention  the
earlier problem, though, for what it's worth.

rday