[BusyBox] Linux Newcommer.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 17 21:19:41 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 11:34, tom at ceisystems.com wrote:
> Vakku,
>
>             If you're just starting out with Linux, this is the wrong
> group for you.  This group is intended for users of the BusyBox
> utilities, which is a trimmed down set of system utilities found on
> Linux systems.  In other words, this group is usually intended for the
> more advanced Linux user.

Not _that_ much more advanced...

If he wants the software equivalent of the "build your own PC from mail order
parts, following the instructions in a book" experience, you can't do better
than www.linuxfromscratch.com.

If he just wants to boot up a system and play around with it  a bit, knoppix
cd's are the best way to go.  (Google for knoppix, you can download burnable
iso images.  It's a linux distribution that boots straight from the CD
without you having to install it.  It'll autodetect your hardware and
everything.  There are a couple limitations because of this, but nothing
major I've noticed so far.  It's even got xbattle. :)