[BusyBox] Base filesystem tarball for busybox?

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Mon May 19 16:30:35 UTC 2003

There are a lot of good points raised about whether a reference filesystem for busybox would even be of use to anyone, and reading them I felt kinda stupid at even having suggested it, but I can see some benefits for having such an animal.

If it parsed the busybox .config file it could include files needed to support the selected features. I've checked "telnetd" in the .config, but I've yet to have it accept a connection. I've added and removed inetd, added passwd, group, securetty files, and a number ov /dev nodes, and yet it's still just taunting me.

Same with inittab, if that's checked, throw in a minimal one that has some examples in it.

On the one hand it is lazyness, but it's something that everyone who picks up busybox goes through. Yes, I can RTFM, and I do on a regular basis, but in this case it just seems like work that's been done a thousand times before.

I think if everyone who has struggled with getting any one feature of busybox working wrote a paragraph describing what other config files were needed to make this feature operational, and threw it into the .config help entry for that feature, it would be a great first step in having at least the docs for creating a dynamically generated root filesystem.

-Bruce

ps. What the heck is needed for telnetd to work? :-)