[BusyBox] Can't get tty...

dpost at toplayer.com dpost at toplayer.com
Wed Mar 26 18:00:03 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have done some searching and it looks like this question has been asked
before, but I have tried the proposed solutions with no luck.

I an running on busybox 0.60.5, Linux 2.4.10 kernel on an 450Mhz Intel PC.
The system boots just fine except for the fact the from the console I get
the following:

-----

Please press enter to activate this console.

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.03.26-15:39+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

------

I have job control turned on in Config.h and my inittab file looks just like
the one from the help file (which I have included at the end). Any help in
solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Don

# This is run first except when booting in single-user mode.
#
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# /bin/sh invocations on selected ttys
#
# Start an "askfirst" shell on the console (whatever that may be)
::askfirst:-/bin/sh
# Start an "askfirst" shell on /dev/tty2-4
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:-/bin/sh

# /sbin/getty invocations for selected ttys
#
tty4::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
tty5::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

# Example of how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
#::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
#
# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#::respawn:/sbin/getty 57600 ttyS2

# Stuff to do when restarting the init process
::restart:/sbin/init

# Stuff to do before rebooting
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r