[BusyBox] [Busy box] can't resolve symbol.

Hiroaki Ibe ibe at dcl.info.waseda.ac.jp
Tue Jun 24 10:18:53 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I am finally succesfully build BusyBox with a powerpc gcc
cross compiler build with uclibc  (Thanks Erik :-)

But I have some trouble when using some command like
ls, mount or other

# ls
ls: can't resolve symbol '__eqdf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__floatsidf'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__ltdf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__adddf3'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__fixdfsi'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__negdf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__divdf3'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__muldf3'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__truncdfsf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__nedf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__gedf2'
ls: can't resolve symbol '__subdf3'
bin         dev         proc        usr
boot        etc         linuxrc     sbin
#

I read a similar problem in busybox ML.
In the tread "[Busy Box] Busy box runtime :can't resolve symbol."
Eric answered as below

"These are part of libgcc.  With newer gcc versions, rather than
staricly linking libgcc into each application, libgcc is now a
shared library, /lib/libgcc_s.so.1, which it looks like you
failed to install into your root filesystem."

So I installed /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 manually, but The problem does not be resolved.

I think this problem is due to .config of uClibc.

so I tried to enable "Add unresolved libgcc symbols to uClibc" in "make menuconfig" of uClibc.
then I remaked uClibc & buxybox(with the compiler wrapper built by uClibc).
then I installed /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 manually.

It cause new problem!!
When I boot my linux, It stop at below.

Freeing unused kernel memory :56k init
init: can't resolve symbol '__eqdf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__floatsidf'
init: can't resolve symbol '__ltdf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__adddf3'
init: can't resolve symbol '__fixdfsi'
init: can't resolve symbol '__negdf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__divdf3'
init: can't resolve symbol '__muldf3'
init: can't resolve symbol '__truncdfsf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__nedf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__gedf2'
init: can't resolve symbol '__subdf3'

I don't know what to do next.