[BusyBox] BusyBox mounting loop devices fails on PPC

Michael Sternberg mishka at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jun 19 13:40:20 UTC 2003

MPC8260, cramfs image (with right endianity).

~> busybox mount --help 2>&1 | grep loop
       loop:           Mounts a file via loop device.
~> busybox mount -o loop /var/tmp/ppc.img /mnt
mount: Mounting /var/tmp/ppc.img on /mnt failed: Block device required
~> ls /mnt
~> /bin/mount -o loop /var/tmp/ppc.img /mnt
~> ls /mnt
bin   dev   etc   lib   mnt   proc  sbin  tmp   usr   var
~> busybox mount | grep mnt
/dev/loop0 on /mnt type cramfs (rw)
~>

Problem - busybox mount can not mount loopback image.
Standard mount make it on the same computer with the same image.

					Michael.

P.S. I tried to perform above tasks in two stages, with losetup:

~> busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /var/tmp/ppc.img
~> echo $?
0
~> busybox mount -t cramfs /dev/loop0 /mnt
mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt failed: Permission denied
~>

Regarding permission - I was working as root...