[BusyBox] Newbie: No console at startup. BB v0.60.5

Travis Sawyer tsawyer at watercove.com
Wed Jun 11 14:04:51 UTC 2003

Greetings Busybox'ers!

I'm new at busybox and am having some problems with my ppc 750
(Momentum PUMA-A PMC addin card).

Problem 1:
I've configured and built the kernel and have run with BB 0.60.3
successfully.
However, with nearly the same Config.h and Makefile, running BB 0.60.5
results in
no console shell, just the following line:

init started:  BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.06.09-19:31+0000) multi-call binary

With 60.3 I got the 'press any key for shell' prompt.  I've tried running
w/o
inittab for both 60.3 & 60.5 (that was the original config I used), and then
added the inittab for both, and still do not get the shell.

Problem 2:
I'm trying to work through the 'Linux Kernel Module Prog. Guide' hello world
examples for a loadable module.  When I 'insmod hello.o' I get an unresolved

symbol 'printk'.  I've checked /proc/ksyms and printk_XXXXXX is there.

I'm using kernel 2.4.23 rc3 (source dl'ed via bitkeeper)

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

TIA,

Travis Sawyer