R: [BusyBox] ethernet configuration: problem with ifconfig.

Sanges Michele Michele.Sanges at otomelara.it
Mon Jun 9 13:31:35 UTC 2003

> You need to edit your busybox Config.h file and uncomment the line:
> #define BB_FEATURE_IFCONFIG_STATUS
>
> You'll then get the printout you expect.

Hi Don,

I have uncommented this line and recompiled busybox; now I get the correct
printout. Thank you very much.

> > And then, when I setup my network interface by means:
> > >ifconfig eth0 MY_IP netmask MY_NETMASK up
> >
> > I obtain the following message:
> > >SIOCSIFADDR: no such devices
> > >SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such devices
> > >SIOCGIFFLAGS: no such devices
> >
> > What means this error messages?
> >
> > How do I make the 'eth0' devices?
>
> It sounds like you do not have your network driver compiled
> into your kernel
> or loaded as a module. Double check your kernel config to see
> that it is
> either compiled in or enabled as a module.
>
> If it is setup as a module, do a lsmod to see if it is
> loaded. If it isn't
> you may want to also uncomment from Config.h the insmod and
> rmmod selection.
> This will allow you to laod the driver module by hand...

lsmod shows the presence of 'eepro100.o' module, related to my ethernet card
EtherExpressPro100. This is a strange behavior because the kernel is
compiled with the support of this ethernet card (make xconfig; ->Network
Device support; ->Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit); ->EtherExpressProo/100 support =
y).
In any case, loading the 'eepro100.o' module by hand I successfully setup my
ethernet card by means 'ifconfig eth0 MY_IP netmask MY_NETMASK up'. Is it
right to load the module and to configure the ethernet card in the
rc.sysinit file, in order to execute this operations automatically at the
system startup?

Thanks you very much for your help.
Michele

La presente comunicazione, inviata dal mittente a titolo personale, non è in
alcun modo impegnativa per OTOMELARA se non seguita da un documento formale.

This communication, sent exclusively on a personal basis, is in no way
binding for OTOMELARA if not followed by an official document.