[BusyBox] ethernet configuration: problem with ifconfig.

dpost at toplayer.com dpost at toplayer.com
Fri Jun 6 22:29:35 UTC 2003

Hi Michele,

> When I execute the command
> > ifconfig
>
> I obtain the following message:
> > ifconfig: ifconfig was not compiled with interface status
> display support

You need to edit your busybox Config.h file and uncomment the line:
#define BB_FEATURE_IFCONFIG_STATUS

You'll then get the printout you expect.

> And then, when I setup my network interface by means:
> >ifconfig eth0 MY_IP netmask MY_NETMASK up
>
> I obtain the following message:
> >SIOCSIFADDR: no such devices
> >SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such devices
> >SIOCGIFFLAGS: no such devices
>
> What means this error messages?
>
> How do I make the 'eth0' devices?

It sounds like you do not have your network driver compiled into your kernel
or loaded as a module. Double check your kernel config to see that it is
either compiled in or enabled as a module.

If it is setup as a module, do a lsmod to see if it is loaded. If it isn't
you may want to also uncomment from Config.h the insmod and rmmod selection.
This will allow you to laod the driver module by hand...

-Don