[BusyBox] Some problems with busybox-1.0.0-pre1

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Jul 29 07:00:30 UTC 2003

On Mon Jul 28, 2003 at 06:26:33PM +0200, Eric Spakman wrote:
> I did test the init.d scripts (almost standard Debian) and the
> profiles with ash, dash and busybox ash without any problems. But
> with busybox dash there is a problem already before the export
> errors: the /etc/init.d scripts don't even start up. See the first
> mail. I couldn't find any strange things in the lines 11 and 12 in
> the profile scripts.

For what it is worth, I tested the new busybox dash (ash) shell
and I was able to boot, run /etc/init.d scripts, set aliases,
etc.  I was doing quite a lot of testing today and did not see
any of the problems you are reporting.

Now as near as I can tell from what you have told us, you are
trying to do Very Evil Stuff(tm) with your PS1....

Apparently, dash does not deal well with badly formed PS1
variables.  i.e.

    $ unset CRAP
    $ export PS1=`echo HELLO $CRAP JUNK`

produces the prompt "HELLO".

Adding quotes to your PS1 appears to be responsible for the
bad behavior you are seeing.  i.e.

    $ export PS1=`echo HELLO \"how are you\" JUNK`

produces:
    export: 5: "how: bad variable name
    HELLO

So there do seem to be some problems with handling of fancy
prompts.

Regardless, I have to ask....  Why not remove all that garbage
from your PS1 and use something sensible, such as:

	PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '

instead?

 -Erik