[BusyBox] init patch to reload /etc/inittab

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Fri Jul 18 01:51:16 UTC 2003

Andrew> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>] Hi,

Andrew> Here's a pretty crude patch to reload /etc/inittab when init
Andrew> receives a SIGHUP.

Wow, just yesterday I was wanting a reloadable inittab.  I'd support
inclusion, with or without a possible
CONFIG_FEATURE_INITTAB_RELOADABLE-like variable.

In terms of practical applications, I'm building a diskless server
which optionally can act as a terminal server, and if my Rocketport
multiserial card is present, I want to add a bunch of gettys to
inittab and get those served.  Currently, my workaround is to do
hardware detection before my pivot_root, append the needed lines to
the tmpfs /ramdisk/etc/inittab file, and let the new inittab get read
after the exec /sbin/init.

-- jared at wordzoo.com

"Tiger gotta hunt.  Bird gotta fly.
 Man gotta sit and wonder why, why, why.
 Tiger gotta sleep.  Bird gotta land.
 Man gotta tell himself he understand." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.