[BusyBox] init problem

Lyle Bainbridge lyle at zevion.com
Wed Jul 16 23:02:25 UTC 2003

I am using busybox-0.60.5 built using the latest uclibc
toolchain (binutils-2.14, gcc-3.3, uclibc-snapshot). I have
configured init to be included, and use bb ash as the shell.

When init is run after kernel startup, the rcS cannot be run.
I traced into the code and in the run function of init.c it
gets to this line:

/* We're still here?  Some error happened. */
message(LOG | CONSOLE, "\rBummer, could not run '%s': %s\n",

My inittab file is as follows:

::sysinit:/etc/inid.d/rcS
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 vt100
::restart:/sbin/init

My rcS file has only an echo line with a message.

I suspected that something in my root filesystem might have
been hosed, so I tried building and using sysvinit-2.85 instead
and leaving the rest of my root the same. It works fine (with a
slightly modified initab of course).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lyle